Wall Aquarium Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Wall Aquarium?
- How heavy are wall aquariums when filled with water?
- Do they come in different sizes and shapes?
- Can I install a wall aquarium in between two rooms so that I can see through the fish tank into the other room?
- Will a cord be hanging from my wall aquarium when it is mounted?
- Is there a difference between a wall mounted aquarium, wall aquarium, or wall hanging fish tank?
- What kind of fish can I keep in a wall aquarium?
- How many fish can I keep in a wall aquarium?
- What are the differences between Aussie Contemporary Wall Aquariums and the Aquavista 500 wall aquarium?
- Do the wall aquariums have a warranty?
- How do I install a wall aquarium?
- How hard is it to install a wall mounted aquarium?
- How do I clean a wall aquarium?
- How often should wall aquariums be cleaned?
- How often should I replace the filter in my wall aquarium?
- What are chloramines and what should I do to my water before adding fish to my aquarium?
- What does cycling mean and why is it important to keep my fish healthy?
1. What is a wall aquarium?
A: A wall aquarium is an aquarium that is mounted to a wall or hung on a wall like a painting or a plasma t.v. Wall mounted aquariums are typically only 4-6 inches thick, this thickness is what allows the aquarium to be mounted on the wall.
Many people have seen plasma fish tanks and animated, framed aquarium pictures that hang on walls and think that these are wall aquariums. However, a wall aquarium is a real fish tank that hangs on a wall. The only difference between wall aquariums and regular fish tanks is that wall mounted fish tanks hang on the wall.
2. How heavy are wall aquariums when filled with water?
A: The weight of wall mount aquariums varies depending on the volume of water that each aquarium holds. The weights listed in each product’s specifications on our website is the weight of the aquarium without water. The actual weight of the aquarium once mounted is significantly greater because one gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs.
Our smallest wall aquarium holds 2 gallons of water and our largest wall fish tank holds 21 gallons of water. Just the water in the 21 gallon wall aquarium weighs about 175 lbs. The aquariums weigh between 20-80 lbs without water, depending on the model. Therefore, the 21 gallon wall mount aquarium with water would weigh over 200 lbs.
3. Do wall mounted aquariums come in different sizes, shapes, and colors?
A: We carry several different models of wall aquariums that come in many different sizes and shapes. Some wall mounted aquariums have interchangeable frames and backgrounds which allows them to be customized to your home or office. Other wall fish tanks come in brushed stainless frames.
4. Can I install a wall aquarium between two rooms so that I can see through the fish tank into the other room?
A: No, if you install a wall aquarium in between two rooms, in one room you will see the front of the aquarium and frame, while in the other room you will see the back of the fish tank with the filters, cords, and pumps.
If you are interested in having an aquarium mounted or installed between
two bedrooms, the best method is to install a full size aquarium into your wall
5. Will a cord be hanging from my wall aquarium when it is mounted?
A: Yes, every wall mount aquarium has an electric cord running from it in order to supply the pumps and filters with power to keep the aquarium clean. However, these cords can be run behind the wall and connected directly to an electrical outlet in order to hide the cords from view. (We recommend having a professional electrician do any electric work if you plan on customizing the wiring of your wall mount fish tank. Also, the warranty of your wall mount aquarium may be voided if you tamper with the electrical wiring of your aquarium.
6. Is there a difference between a wall mounted aquarium, wall aquarium, wall mount fish tank, or wall hanging fish tank?
A: A wall aquarium, wall mounted aquarium, wall hanging aquarium, wall hanging fish tank, wall mount fish tank, and wall mounted fish tanks are all different names for a wall aquarium. They are all typically aquariums that are between 4''-6'' thick and hang on a wall like a painting.
7. What kind of fish can I keep in a wall aquarium?
A: The type of fish that can be kept in a wall aquarium vary upon the water volume of the particular aquarium that you may have, as well as other filter and aquarium characteristics, such as if you have a heater or not. For a full list of fish that are appropriate for your wall aquarium consult your local fish store. Below is a list of fish that are compatible with wall aquariums. (Remember that keeping too many fish in an aquarium is unhealthy for the fish)
8. How many fish can I keep in a wall aquarium?
A: The number of fish that can be kept in a wall aquarium will vary depending on the size of the aquarium, the size and type of the fish kept, and the filtration system of the aquarium. However, a safe guideline to use in order to maintain a healthy environment is one inch of fish per gallon of water.
9. What are the differences between Aussie Contemporary Wall Aquariums and the Aquavista 500 wall aquarium?
A: The major differences between the two types of wall mount aquariums are that the Aquavista 500 comes in one size and shape 26 x 26 square, while the Aussie Wall Aquariums come in multiple sizes and shapes. Also, the Aquavista 500 has interchangeable frames and is computer controlled while the Aussie Wall Aquariums are not computer controlled and do not have interchangeable frames.
10. Do the wall aquariums have a warranty?
A: Yes, the wall mounted aquariums that we carry all come with a warranty. The details below apply to the wall mount fish tanks that we carry.
Aussie Contemporary Wall Aquarium Warranty: All Aussie Wall Aquariums have a manufacturer limited one year warranty on the aquarium.
Aquavista 500 Wall Mount Aquarium Warranty: The Aquavista 500 wall aquarium comes with a one year manufacturer's warranty on the aquarium and six month warranty on parts.
11. How do I install a wall aquarium?
A: For instructions on how to mount and install your wall aquarium please click the following link to see installation instructions for wall mount aquariums.
Wall Mounted Aquarium Installation Instructions
12. How hard is it to install a wall mounted aquarium?
A: Wall mount aquariums are not as difficult to mount and hang as most people think. The most time consuming part of installation is reading the instructions for the first time. However, installing a wall aquarium on your own typically takes between 30-60 minutes. The Aussie wall fish tanks usually take a little longer to install than the Aquavista 500 wall aquarium.
13. How do I clean a wall aquarium?
A: For specific instructions on how to clean your wall hanging fish tank, please visit the following page of our website.
How to clean your wall mount aquarium
14. How often should wall aquariums be cleaned?
A: On average you should do a partial water change in your wall aquarium every two weeks. However, you might need to clean your tank more or less often depending upon how many fish you have in your aquarium, where your aquarium is mounted, and how much you are feeding your fish.
15. How often should I replace the filter in my wall aquarium?